However, a word of caution before rushing off to France with Toby, getting it wrong can result in serious consequences at border control if the rules are not carefully followed.
Foreign diseases for which our pets may have little or no immunity are also something to be aware of. Be especially wary of external parasites which can act as hosts of numerous diseases.
A summary of the process:
- Book an appointment.
- Microchip (if not previously done).
- Vaccinate for rabies.
- Pets passport (documentation).
- Pets can travel after 21 days.
- Dogs must be dewormed between 1 and 5 days before returning to the UK (vet certified).
A few things to be careful of:
- Double check with DEFRA which countries are included.
- Check rules carefully before travelling.
- Remember different diseases are present in different areas of the EU, and your pets are at greater risk than local pets.